There are different types of maca root with different colors ranging from white to black.
Each maca colour has different biological effects. The effects of black, yellow and red maca have been mostly studied.
Mainly, the aim of all these studies was to find out what maca color has fertility properties, nutrition potency, effects on memory, and mood.
According to research results, color type has to be considered in maca production, as different maca color has distinct bio-active metabolites.
Black maca study results
- Black maca has better effects on sperm production than yellow maca which has only moderate effects. Affects increased sperm count as early as 1 day after beginning of treatment.
- There is no effects in reducing prostate size in rats.
- It has beneficial effects on learning and memory in experimental animal models.
- Improves scopolamine-induced memory deficits.
- Red and black maca have protective effects on bone architecture in OVX rats without showing estrogenic effects on uterine weight.
Overall, based on different maca studies it looks like both sweet and slightly bitter in taste, black maca is considered to be the strongest energy booster and excellent product specifically for men.
J Sci Food Agric. 2010 Apr 15;90(5):861-9. PMID: 20355123