Red maca is rather rare and unique product. Milder in taste than the yellow maca, red (also called purple) maca root grows in Peru at high altitudes, same as other common types of maca root ( black maca and yellow maca).
For all those who have not used maca before, maca or lepidium meyeni (or lepidium peruvianum) is a cruciferous crop used as a food and as a medicine.
Red maca has almost same health properties as black maca and yellow maca:
- It is an excellent energy booster
- Balances hormones in both men and women
- Acts as an aphrodisiac in both men and women
The reason red maca is so attention focused is due to its specific qualities, not found in other maca types. For example in a research study, red maca has shown to have an extremely high content of glucosinolates, much more than in other crudiferous crops. Which means that when it comes to prostate issues, only red maca reduces significantly ventral prostate size (in rats). Thus, red maca:
- Excellent for men with prostate issues – red maca protects prostate
- Has positive protective effects on bone structure (in rats)